Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas Traditions


People have asked me how celebrating Christmas in my new home in Belfast is different from the celebrations back home State-side. Here's a short list of some of my favorite new traditions. I'm sure stories will follow, but for now I hope you enjoy!

Christmas Crackers: cardboard tubes filled with small prizes, stickers, and paper crowns. Pull one apart with a friend and whoever gets the big half ‘wins’ the cracker and its contents. Apparently, it’s a travesty that we don’t have them in the US, and I must agree.

Prawn Cocktail: mini-shrimp (yes, I know that’s redundant) drenched in a mayonnaise-based curry sauce and served on a bed of iceburg lettuce. Sounds kinda weird, but it’s actually quite good.

Mushy Peas: think mashed potatoes, only it’s peas.

Brussels Sprouts: they’re the green bean casserole of Northern Ireland!

Christmas Day church services: not all churches have a Christmas Eve service, but nearly every church has a Christmas Day service. It’s odd to have to get dressed for church on Christmas morning rather than sit around the house in your bathrobe.

Balloons: this one actually came from Nathaniel. During WWII his family—like many—was too poor to afford more than about one present apiece. So to fill up the space under the tree they blew up balloons to go with the few presents. Nate’s parents sent him balloons so we put them under the tree. Except they kinda took over the living room. Oh well.

‘Happy Christmas!’: the most common greeting, as opposed to the American-ized ‘Merry Christmas!’

Boxing Day: the States definitely need to adopt Boxing Day! The day after Christmas set aside as a day to recover. Also, set aside as a day to continue partying and being with family and friends, but businesses and banks are closed. And, in the case of Boxing Day being on a Saturday (like this year) you have Boxing Day (observed) which is the first Monday after Christmas. Brilliant!

Selection Boxes: a sampler box of Cadbury chocolates. Yum!

New Songs: there are plenty here! My personal ‘favorite’ is ‘Crackers and Turkeys’ the first verse of which is:

Crackers and turkeys and pudding and cream

Toys in the window that I’ve never seen

This is the Christmas that everyone sees

But Christmas means more to me.

It’s somebody’s birthday I won’t forget

As I open the things that I get

I’ll remember the inn and the stable so bare

And Jesus who once lay there.

And then there’s ‘Silent Night’:

Silent night, holy night

Sleeps the world hid from sight

Mary and Joseph in stable bare

Watched o’er the Child beloved and fair

Sleeping in heavenly rest

Sleeping in heavenly rest.

Family: this isn’t new by any means, but it’s nice to know that some traditions are universal!

1 comment: