Thursday, February 4, 2010

Gospel Lesson

How beautiful on the mountains
are the feet of those who bring good news,
who proclaim peace,
who bring good tidings,
who proclaim salvation,
who say to Zion,
"Your God reigns!" –Isaiah 52:7 (NIV)

“You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.” –Jesus in Matthew 5:38-42 (NIV)

Note: I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned it before, but one of the projects I’ve chosen to work with here is an organization called Beautiful Feet. It’s a homeless ministry that works the streets of Belfast serving sandwiches, tea and coffee to the homeless. Most importantly, we also serve a smile and a listening ear; five minutes on a Tuesday night is more positive attention than most of them get all week. We don’t hide the fact that we’re Christians, but neither do we proclaim it. Our purpose is not to preach with words but rather to live with action. We talk about whatever the men and women we meet want to talk about. Oddly enough, it’s often Jesus.

I was out at Beautiful Feet tonight and two things struck me: 1) I am way too emotionally attached to my stuff, and 2) the homeless drunks on the streets profess their faith more readily, more openly and more candidly than any Christian I’ve ever met.

Let’s start with point number one. Last week I was amazed to see Phen give away one of his favorite hoodies. I think he’s had it for years; I know he asked his mom to send it to him from home. And yet he readily, without much hesitation, gave it to a homeless man on the streets of Belfast who had no coat. I was amazed. And convicted. I am way too emotionally attached to my stuff and am way too unwilling to give it away. It’s easy to be self-righteous about things I’m willing to do, but the challenge from God is in the things I’m not willing to do. When Christ says, ‘If someone wants to take your shirt, give him your coat as well,’ he means it. And he doesn’t mean ‘give the coat you don’t want anyway’ or ‘give the coat you’re most willing to give’ but give your coat. The one from your back regardless of its ‘value.’ It’s only out of God’s grace and abundance that I have anything anyway. And Christ never said this was easy. I’m pretty sure he said it was downright difficult. Actually, I’m pretty sure he promised it would be downright difficult.

And let’s move on to point two. Even if their theology is a bit off and even if they bring up the Catholic/Protestant divide and even if they’re roaring drunk, the homeless alcoholics will readily tell you about Jesus. And actually, a lot of the time they’re pretty truthful. You can’t be in a conversation with any of them for more than about 30 seconds before Jesus makes an appearance. It strikes me as a little ironic; shouldn’t I be preaching to them? Isn’t that why I’m here? Not really. I’m here to listen, and—I’ve figured out—to learn. I show them love with a hot cup of tea or coffee, and they teach me what it means to really live the Gospel. What does it mean to give someone the shirt off your back? (Or the hat off your head? Or the gloves off your hands?) Jesus always did choose the least of these to be the greatest of teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment