Thursday, September 24, 2009

Twenty-Four Days In...


Alright, so it’s been almost a month (already!) since I arrived in Belfast. Time for an update!

Life is going well. I’m pretty well settled in my flat, with my amazing flatmates. Nathaniel and I can watch M*A*S*H together, while Phen and I are both Taylor Mali fans. Our house is what we would call a town house in the States. My room overlooks our wee postage stamp of a courtyard, several tall pine trees, and between the trees, a few miles away, is the harbor. We have yet to really figure out the heating in our house, not because it’s all controlled by gas-powered radiators, but mostly because the thermostat is in Celsius. Apparently, 20 degrees is plenty warm. We live on a nice street, which, I’ve come to discover, is also a very typical street: blocks of row houses all with small enclosed front patios, all usually very modest in nature, with roof and chimney structures that give me the overwhelming urge to break into “Chim-Chim Cheeri” while walking down the street.

It’s funny the things I notice about being here, too. For example, I finally figured out what it was about the skyline that seemed so different: very few overhead wires. Instead of having electric poles every several dozen feet like is typical in the States, each block of row houses will be outfitted with one pole from which wires spiral off to each house, giving it a decided May-pole look. Also, even though almost no one has a front yard to speak of, most people find enough space to grow hedges and flower bushes. Roses of every color are quite popular, along with a breed of hydrangea and the most amazing honeysuckle I’ve ever seen. It has bright green leaves and fuchsia petals with royal purple centers. You can tell that hard freezes are rare here because the water mains run on the outside of the houses (and yet people keep saying, “It’s cold, rainy and windy. And this is our summer! Just wait until winter!” I’ll let you know when I get there.) Tree lawns are non-existent and traffic is crazy with double-decker buses, but the sidewalks (pavements) are about double the width of what they are in the States so I’ve just learned to walk to the inside. (Although, this is complicated by the fact that parking on the sidewalk is not only acceptable, it’s often necessary.) I’ve also noticed that people ONLY have the right of way when they are well within the parameters of a legal crosswalk while it is flashing green. Woe be unto you for jay-walking which is not only illegal, it’s just downright dangerous; the buses do not stop.

My placements are going well, too. I don’t really have a “typical” day, since I work somewhere different every day, and even if I do work in the same place two days in a row, it’s for vastly different groups. The youth fellowship at Fortwilliam and Macrory Presbyterian is still getting off the ground after summer; Chris—the youth director—and I are still assessing what to do. It’s a small group, but the ones who come are committed, which is good. I teach the youth Bible Class on Sunday mornings, and I can report that the youth of Belfast, Northern Ireland, and the youth of Johnson City, Tennessee, are very similar: they won’t shut up until you ask them a direct question about what you’re studying. Then it’s all crickets. Oh well. Comfort in consistency, but I wouldn’t mind some discomfort in that area. Fortunately, when they do speak, it’s also very much like home; good ideas, thoughts and insights. It’ll help, too, when they get more used to my accent and when I get slightly less culturally obtuse.

My work also takes me to the WAVE Trauma Centre, where I love working. I am currently involved with four groups there. The Injured Group meets on Monday nights, and are just starting their new Recognition for All Injured Campaign, which incorporates new ideas about compensation and recognition for all those injured (physically or otherwise) during the Troubles. They’re having a book launch on October 6, for a book that they wrote together, and last week was a meeting with representatives from the Victims’ Commission. I took minutes for that meeting, and it was definitely a situation where, while I physically understood what was said, I’m sure I have no idea the magnitude of the meeting. More about the Campaign as it unfolds. I also work with the Men’s Group, who are starting a new peacemaking and reconciliation study course, and I work with the Women’s Group, who just started a history of Northern Ireland course. Today was the kick-off for that with a tour of the Crumlin Road Jail (spelled “gaol”.) In operation until 1996, it’s now a historical site that offers tours. I’m excited about learning more about this area that I’ve chosen (was chosen) to serve. My fourth group is the Young Women’s Group. They meet every other Friday night, and were apologetic about being really girly the first night I was with them. “Please be girly!” I said. “I live with two boys, so I need girly!” They are great women. They are starting a new series of programs for this semester, one of which is a weekend aboard a tall ship sailing the North Channel (between N. Ireland and Scotland.) There are only 9 spots available, which, of course, go to the group members first, but if there’s a free spot, I’ll probably get to go! (I’m not gonna lie, I really hope to!)

Saturday mornings have recently been spent at St. George’s Market in City Centre, where we get fresh fruits, vegetables, any spice you could ever possibly want, REALLY fresh seafood, crepes stuffed with everything from chocolate to chicken, and a healthy dose of live, local music. There’s a lady from Miami, Florida, of all places, who has a cookie stand and figured out how to use curry in a snickerdoodle, and a man who has a stand dedicated to good coffee. I had him grind me some Guatemalan coffee, and I have successfully figured out how to operate our “cafetiere” (a.k.a. French press.) Yea, good coffee!

Anyway, that’s enough for now. Hard to believe almost one month has already gone by. Gives you an impression of how long a year might go. Thanks again for all your prayers! More soon! Peace…

2 comments:

  1. Glad you found the good coffee girl! Guess who! I mean you found the GOOD coffee!

    ReplyDelete